Thursday, January 8, 2015

Fit on a recumbent trike

Thanks to the efforts of Loud Bicycle pioneering supporter Lenny Landau, we have a way to attach the horn to an ICE trike.

All-year-round bent rider Lenny says:
"I LOVE MY LOUD HORN!!! It like a bike helmet may never save my life, however, in those few instances when they are necessary, their value is priceless. The thing about the horn is that in addition to being a true safety accessory, it is fun honking friends, and showing it off to my friends and neighbors. I like the fact that it stays charged for a long time and I don't have to recharge it often as I had to do with my air horn. Even if it requires a monthly charge, it is far better than my air horn in that respect, and every other respect as well."
"I installed my horn on the vertical seat post of my ICE trike as planned. See the attached photo. It was a tight fit, but, it did fit, with clearance all around. Probably not the best place to install a horn, but in this case it is the only place. As long as I don't jump off whenever I honk I will be ok."

"The seat post diameter was a little small to snug up the horn so I wrapped the post with a section of an inner tube, which is my preferred method to protect the paint, and provide a compressible shim. I have not yet routed the button wire, but with the extension piece you provided, it appears that it will be long enough. I will use tie wraps to route the wire along the frame and the "handle bar". You can see in the photo why the charging plug is in an inconvenient location, and why a short jumper cable will be much easier for me to use.
"I was surprised with the grip length of the mounting screws, which take a long time to install in if you don't have a power screwdriver. I used the Phillips headed screws because with the long grip length as described above, using a screw driver was much easier than the wrench that you provided."

Lenny did a really fine job with the install, especially with the zip-ties to string up the button as you can see in this photo. To get Lenny's setup arranged for your recumbent you will need the Loud Bicycle Horn and one Button Cable Extension.

You can order the Loud bicycle horn and extension here, or return to the homepage for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment